Monday, October 12, 2009

Stay Positive

In the book Teaching with Love and Logic on page 129 it talks about how students are reminded on a daily basis where they fall short. Our jobs as teachers I think are to make sure they know what they are doing wrong but also to make sure they know what they are doing well. Some students may not hear a positive comment about them besides in your class, so if they do anything positive I think we need to try and comment on that as well. I have not been in the classroom that long but most of the kids seem to be good kids. In my homeroom we have a foreign exchange student from Brazil, he seems to fit in very well, he plays soccer and it looks like he has not had a hard time finding friends. One thing that I try and do is make sure that he is comfortable in his surroundings. He seems to understand the English language but sometimes misunderstands jokes. I want to make sure that the students around him show him what they mean when they are joking with him. Being on team makes his transition easier I think, he knows that there is people around him that will lookout for him. Transferring here to WCHS is a huge culture shock I am sure I want in to be a positive for him as well as the people he comes in contact with. Most people in this town will never travel to Brazil, I want the, to talk with him and find out what it is like there and how it differs from their culture.

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
Benjamin Franklin

1 comment:

  1. I completely identify with your comment, “Some students may not hear a positive comment about them besides in your class, so if they do anything positive I think we need to try and comment on that as well”. This is so true and I deal with it each day. I have students in my class that give me great pause. I wonder if they have enough food to eat or what their home life may be like. I am so conscious of praising my students for a job well done. I want to encourage them and make each one feel safe.

    ReplyDelete