Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fall Break 10-13-09

I am on the second day of Fall Break and I am starting to wonder what to do since I am not in school. I am one of those creatures of habit once I get into a routine I want to stay that way if not my mind starts to wonder and I am not as tasked orientated. The thing that I have been thinking about is classroom control. I am going to be a teacher who likes to have a room that is under control, I do not want kids up moving unless it is productive and structured. I have been reading in the Teaching with Love and Logic book about giving up some control or losing it totally. I understand that thinking, I am a coach and I can make my guys do what I want because I have something that they want, "playing time". With regular students you do not have that power, there is nothing that they need from you besides a grade and what I have seen is that the grade to most means nothing. I want all my students to learn and to have fun in my class as long as they do it in the order. I want to have a relaxed intensity in my room, but when I need to reel them in there understand the boundaries that they can't cross. I hope that is this is simpler when you have your own room, it seems that the kids now still look for their full time teacher when asking permission.

The ability to convert ideas to things is the secret to outward success.
Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment