Thursday, October 8, 2009

Oh Boy! What a Day

Today was a weird day from the get go, all the kids thought we were not going to have school today so they brought in an attitude that they were not going to work at all today. The 2nd class of the day for me is the hardest working class that I have to date, and today they could not stay on track. Some of the students work ahead and that is fine but the other half of the class could not keep up. They were is a land that I have never seen, today they looked at me like I was speaking another language. I stayed on them, telling them why we need this information and trying to relate what we were doing to the real world but today they were only worried about what they were going to do on fall break. I am sure that this happens in all places and I am sure that I am guilty of doing this from time to time but this is the first time I have seen the majority of the class not want to work.
From what I have seen so far in my placement, teaching is about making a connection to your students. I want to have a connection but not so much that they want to call me over to make sure they are doing things right when they know they are. I would like to think that I am a likable guy but at the same time I want them to be able to complete their work without me having to say that looks great or good job. I am not saying that I don't want to praise them for their work but if that is all I do I can not teach the material at hand. In Teaching with Love and Logic I understand that is want a connection with the students but when do you draw the line and shut them off and continue to teach?

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.
Doris M. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment