Today the grade reports came out and it was interesting to the see the reactions of the students. Some students were happy because they were doing better then they thought but the ones that I watched their reaction are the ones that you know are not doing very well. They look at the grades and with a sigh they just shrug their shoulders and laugh. In Teaching with Love and Logic on page 89 it states, " We must attempt to understand a student's perception of events before we can effect real change." This is dead on accurate, these kids have no drive. They understand that their life is headed in a certain direction, more than likely it is going down the same road as their parents. What I would like to do is break the trend , find a way to make the students want to break the string of under achievement. I want all students to do their best and to make something out of their efforts. They need to know that they can change their destiny with hard work and setting goals. I do not want to give them anything because that does not teach them the way of the world, but I want to make sure they understand that they can be successful if they really want to be.
Success does not consist in never making blunders, but in never making the same one a second time.
Josh Billings
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Richard, thanks for your blog this week! I love how you manage every day to connect to something in the text! YAY! 5/5 points
ReplyDeleteIts me again, I really love your writing. I agree that so many kids see themselves going down the same road as their parents. I am at the Middle School and many of the kids have already decided that they are quitting school when they are 16. Like you I try to make them see that there is so much to gain from completing high school and going to college or a trade school. Some of them are really paying attention; sometimes I think they just need to see that someone cares; someone thinks that they have potential. Great job Richard!!!
ReplyDelete