Today I saw the students who have desire to better their life. With this being my second day of solo teaching I guess the students felt comfortable enough to sleep in class. I had one student sleep for most of the class, I woke him up and he started to work but when I looked back to him he was out again. Not sure really how to keep them on task if they are not interested in learning. There were two girls in the back who yesterday talked most of the class, I would tell them to be quiet but it only would stick for a short time. Today I did not move the girls, I let them stay where they were but once they started to talk I went and told them that talk was not an option because it was distracting to others in the class. After they understood that they were going to be moved if they were not quiet, they began to do their work and keep the talking low if at all.
I have to get better at explaining the details, I take for granted that they know more than they really do. I am starting to see who in the class needs help and who understands the first time that I say something. In Teaching with Love and Logic on page 75 it says, "Avoid the pain of insult to the sense of self-worth by putting blame anywhere other than one self." Blaming does not matter where it comes from or what it is about it is going to keep them from exploring if they can do work or not. That is my job is to eliminate the blame and work to teach the material ( I hope).
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.
La Bruyere
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment