Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Parents Day

Today at Whitley County High School was Parents Day. I think that parents day is a great thing that is not used by the parents of the students who really need the help. For some reason, I am not sure what they reason, but the parents of the kids who need to be there and talk to the teacher and find out why little Harold has a "F". This is my first ever parent day, I do not want to pass judgement because I understand that most parents work and can not get away but after listening to the teachers who have been there the only parents who ever come are the one's kids have an "A".
The school feeds the parents and the students, some teacher give bonus points if your parents come, what else is it going to take to get parents involved? in Teaching with Love and Logic on page 119 it says, " Parents who solve problems their children could have solved for themselves are likely to raise children who give up early". And one more, "Parents who work hard to make their children happy are likely to raise children who are unable to make themselves happy".
I hope this is not the case here in Whitley County, I just want to be able to understand that is the parents are not concerned about their child's education then why would the child ever worry about their education?

Sow an act, and you reap a habit; sow a habit, and you reap a character; sow a character, and you reap a destiny.
George Dana Boardman

No comments:

Post a Comment