Monday, September 28, 2009

Flu Bug Strikes

The flu has struck the Whitley County High School, there will be no school for the next couple days. I having been looking over the The Field Guide to Teaching and it seems that you must understand the system before you can receive a job. I hope this date a year from now I will be settled into my own classroom and know all my kids names and how they need me to help them and how they can help me. The book talks about to approach a class and how to deal with students and parents and our staff but one question that I have, is how to teach in a system that test driven. Some kids will never go to college, that should be understood, they do not want to go and have no business in that setting, but they are still tested in the same manner. I am not saying that we should scrap the tests because I am sure that it shows something to the people making the decision but maybe we need to modify the system. I have not looked into this in much depth but on the surface what I am saying makes sense to me. I think that basic life needs are being left out of high school learning, you might be able to solve a calculus question and not be able to balance your checkbook, now how smart is that? You might know how to make a divide atoms or read the periodic table but not understand how to buy a house or apply for a loan. I want the system to work, whatever that system is but I also want people to be able to function in society.

Never lose a chance of saying a kind word.
William Thackeray

No comments:

Post a Comment