Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tough Love or Soft Smile

I always considered myself as a tough love teacher/coach, but today I tried the smile and pat on the back, it seemed to work on my three students in my first period. I have three male students in my first period class who really do not try and do their work, they always have an excuse of why they can't or won't do it but it is never their fault, today I tried something different, I was overly nice to them. I have always been fair but today I was really nice in everything I said and did to them, not in a sarcastic way just in an understanding way. I told them to do their best and if they need any help to just ask and I will be right over, even when they got off task I asked if they could continue working, please. I am not going to say it was easy, sometimes I just want to ask them what they plan to do later in life when they have to get a job, but I am scared to hear their answer. For the entire period they work well, when I would walk by I would tap them on their back and say, "Looks good, Good job, keep it up". I am not sure that I can be like that all year, they will never be able to keep up with the class but at least they have something to turn in when it is time.

Every man is a volume if you know how to read him.
William Ellery Channing

1 comment:

  1. Richard, thanks for your continued blogging even though I have been late in getting it read - I saw 18 posts that I have missed. I wish you continued persistence and success in reaching those children who don't want to be there and don't want to work. You just have to find out what buttons to push.

    ReplyDelete